All entries for Rathmore



Rathmore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

HARRISTOWN

HARRISTOWN, a village (formerly a parliamentary borough), in the parish of RATHMORE, barony of NORTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 24 miles (N. E.) from Kilcullen-Bridge; the population is returned with the parish. This place was formerly the property of the ancient and noble family of Eustace, to whom it gave the title of Baron; and during the civil war, in 1650, the castle was besieged and taken by a party of the parliamentarian forces under Cols. Hewson and Reynolds. In 1681, Sir Maurice Eustace, Knt., obtained from Chas. H. a charter, constituting his estates a manor, with power to hold courts leet and baron, and a court of record before his seneschals, for the recovery of debts not exceeding #10. He also obtained leave to appoint bailiffs and other officers, to have a gaol, to take all waifs, estrays, deodands, and felons' goods, and to hold a market and two fairs at Carnallaway. The town was afterwards made a free borough, with a corporation, consisting of a sovereign and 12 burgesses, which had the privilege of returning two members to parliament, and continued to exercise it till the Union, when the borough was disfranchised, and the #15,000 awarded as compensation was paid to John Latouche, Esq., who was at that time proprietor of the town. For some time previously to the disfranchisement, its corporation had ceased to exercise any municipal functions; none of its offices have since been filled, and it is now an inconsiderable village. Harristown, the seat of R. Latouche, Esq., is an elegant mansion with a stately Ionic portico, beautifully situated on an eminence on the right bank of the river Liffey, which winds through the demesne and is crossed by two stone bridges, one of which, at Brannockstown, was built by the late J. Latouche, Esq., to supply the place of a very handsome bridge of seven arches, now included within the demesne. The banks of the river are richly ornamented with stately timber, and the ndulating surface of the grounds has been made available to the graceful embellishment of this fine demesne. Near Harristown is Kilbarry, the elegant villa of Mrs. Dundas. A constabulary police force is stationed in the village; and there are some slight remains of the ancient castle, formerly belonging to the family of Eustace.

RATHMORE

RATHMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of SOUTH SALT, partly in that of SOUTH NAAS, but chiefly in that of NORTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Naas, on the road from Dublin to Ballymore-Eustace ; containing 1473 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies the " Great Rath," comprises 7656 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, all arable and pasture. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, united by act of council, in 1833, to the vicarage of Kilteel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. L. Allen. The tithes amount to #336. 9. 5?., of which #97. 13. 6?. is payable to the impropriator, and #238. 15. 10. to the vicar. The glebe-house was built by aid of a loan of #200 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821; the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church is a small plain structure, with a square tower, erected by aid of a grant of #450, in 1766, from the same Board, which also granted for it, in 1824, #375, as a gift : it has lately been repaired by a grant of #187 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the union or district of Blessington, in which are two chapels. In a school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, and another supported by private subscriptions, about 100 children are educated : there is also a private school, in which are about 40 children. Near the church is a large rath,


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019