All entries for Dunfierth



Dunfierth

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

DUNFORT

DUNFORT, or DUNFORTH, a parish, in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Kilcock, on the road from Enfield to Naas ; containing 900 inhabitants. The land is of superior quality for grazing cattle, to which purpose it is almost exclusively devoted. A portion of the bog of Allen extends into the parish. The seats are Dunforth House, the residence of Sir F. Macdonald ; Mulgeeth, of E. Ruthven, Esq., M. P. ; and Metcalfe Park, of F. Metcalfe, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, entirely impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire : the tithes amount to #101. 1. 10. The clerical duties are performed by the incumbent of Carbery. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Carbery : the chapel is a plain building. At Kilshanroe is a school of about 60 children, supported by subscription. There are some remains of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019