All entries for Carn



Carn

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

CARNE

CARNE, or CARNA, a parish, in the barony of EAST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Kildare; containing 550 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Athy to Newbridge, and is in the diocese of Kildare. The rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Kildare, who possess 178 statute acres of land in the parish and the vicarage forms the corps of the precentorship of that cathedral, in the patronage of the Bishop, but is at present sequestrated in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The tithes amount to #90, of which #81. 9. 6. are payable to the dean and chapter, and #8. 10. 6. to the precentor. There is no church or glebe-house, but a glebe of ten acres. In the U. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district called Sancroft, comprising the parishes of Came, Ballysonan, Killrush, and Ballysax; the chapel at Sancroft is a large building, and there is a national school there in which about 40 boys and 30 girls are educated.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019