All entries for Killury



Killury

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

CAUSEWAY

CAUSEWAY, a village, in the parish of KILLURY, barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (N.) from Tralee : the population is returned with the parish. This place, which is situated at the junction of the roads leading respectively from Ardfert and Ballyheigue to Cashenferry, derives its name from a paved highway carried over the bogs to the mountain district on the north, and which in its progress intersects the village. Fairs are held on the 2nd of April and May, July 16th, and Nov. 15th, chiefly for cattle ; and a constabulary police force is stationed here. About half a mile to the west are the parish church and glebe-house ; and the R. C. chapel, a large slated cruciform edifice, is in the village. A national school has been built, and is chiefly supported by a bequest of #1000 from the late Rev. Dr. Nealan, P. P., a native, of the parish, who, both as a magistrate and as parish priest, contributed greatly to preserve the peace of this district during the disturbances of 1798.

DRUMKEEN

DRUMKEEN, a village, in the parish of KILLURY, barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 11 miles (W. S. W.) from Tralee ; containing 70 houses and 386 inhabitants.

KILLURY

KILLURY, a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Ballyheigue ; containing 4974 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the southern shore of the estuary of the Shannon, comprises 10,630 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of mountain pasture and bog: the state of agriculture is slowly improving. Petty sessions are held every alternate Monday at Ballynoe. The gentlemen's seats are Ballynoe, the residence of D. Pearse, Esq. ; Sandville House, of T. O'Connor, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. R. Plummer. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Crosbie family. The tithes amount to #392. 6. 1?. The church, a neat structure, erected in 1822, and the glebe-house, a commodious modern residence, are situated about half a mile west of the village of Causeway. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms the head of the union or district of Causeway, which also includes the parishes of Ballyheigue and Rattoo ; each parish contains a chapel. In the public school at Causeway, and in two private schools, about 200 children are educated. The ruins of the castles of Browne and De Cantlon still remain. On the rocky coast at Minegahane the sea, at certain seasons, makes a prodigious noise, similar to the discharge of cannon, which is heard at a considerable distance ; it is said to precede the change of wind, and generally to indicate the approach of a storm.-See CAUSEWAY.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019