CAPPACLOUGH, a village, in the parish of KILGOBBIN, barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, about 9 miles (W. S. W.) from Tralee; containing 419 inhabitants. It is situated on the old road from Tralee to Dingle, and contains the ruins of the old R. C. chapel, which gives name to the parochial district; a new chapel has been built near the village, at Camp, where are the ruins of an old castle.
KILGOBBIN, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 7- miles (W. S. W.) from Tralee, on the Connor Hill road from that place to Dingle; containing 2378 inhabitants. It comprises 17,449 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; part of it is well cultivated. Sea-weed is much used for manure, and there is a fine bank of shell-sand at Bunnavounder. On the side of the mountain of Cahirconree is a quarry of indifferent slate, and iron is said to exist at Carraduff: at Bunnow is a large flour-mill. There is a constabulary police station at Knockglass. The principal seats are Garryhees, the residence of F. Fitzgerald, Esq.; Knockglass, of Mrs. Ray; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. Day. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £422. The church, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £850, in 1825, is a handsome building, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the same Board gave £250 and lent £550, in 1820: the glebe comprises ten acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, called Cappaclough, comprising the parish of Kilgobbin and part of Ballinvohir: the old chapel at Cappaclough is in ruins, and a new building has been erected at Camp. At the latter place are the ruins of an ancient castle. There are four private schools in the parish.-See CAPPACLOUGH.