All Lewis entries for Kilgarrylander



Kilgarrylander

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

KILGARRILANDER

KILGARRILANDER, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Milltown, on the north side of Castlemaine harbour, and on the road from Castleisland to Dingle; containing 2793 inhabitants. It comprises 12,171 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land partly consists of a fine alluvial soil on a substratum of limestone; but a large portion of the parish is occupied by the southern side of the mountains of Cahirconree and Bourthriggoum: it also comprises a valuable bog of considerable extent. Keel is the residence of Giles Ray, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: it is a rectory, forming part of the union of Kiltallagh; the tithes amount to £216. 18. 5., and there is a glebe of 11 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Castlemaine: there is a chapel at Boulteens. About 60 children are educated in three private schools. Remains of the old church still exist in the burial-ground; and at Ardca naught is a burial-place, used only for children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020