All entries for Kilcolman



Kilcolman

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

BRACKHILL

BRACKHILL, a village, in the parish of KILCOLEMAN, barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (N. E.) from Milltown: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the road from Milltown to Castlemaine, of which latter it may be considered a suburb, being connected with it by Castlemaine bridge.

KILCOLEMAN

KILCOLEMAN, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGONIHY, but chiefly in that of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, on the mail road to Cahirciveen ; containing, with the post town of Milltown, 4970 inhabitants. In the reign of Hen. III., Geoffry de Mauriscis founded a priory at Killagh, for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine, which was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin: the abbot was a lord of parliament. It was endowed with large possessions in several parts of the county, which, together with the site, were at the dissolution granted to Capt. Spring, but were forfeited by him after the wars of 1641. The abbey now forms part of the estate of Sir J. Godfrey, Bart., to whose ancestor, Major Godfrey, the lands of Kilcoleman and the contiguous parishes of Killorglin, Kiltalla, and Kilgarrilander, were granted by Chas. II. on his restoration, when several English families settled here, some of whose descendants still remain. The parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Maine, and on the west by the harbour of Castlemaine, comprises 7589? statute acres, of which 6634? consist of arable and pasture land, 745 of bog, and 210 of woodland. The soil is mostly a heavy clay; it produces good crops of grain and potatoes, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. The principal seat is Kilcoleman Abbey, the residence of Sir J. Godfrey, which has been lately remodelled in the Elizabethan style, and is surrounded by an extensive and finely wooded demesne. Attached to the demesne is a neat cottage, called Fort Agnes, built on the edge of a circular hollow surrounded by a Danish moat or rath, and thickly planted. The glebe-house, a substantial mansion, is the residence of the Rev. R. Hewson. The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the representatives of Lord Glandore; the rectory is impropriate in the Hon. and Rev. F. Mullins, to whose lessees the tithes, amounting to #323. 1. 6., are entirely payable, and who allows a stipend to the curate. The church, at Milltown, is a neat edifice, with a lofty square tower, surmounted by octangular pinnacles; it was erected in 1822, on a site presented by Sir John Godfrey, by aid of two loans of #900 and #100 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built about the same period, for which the Board granted #450 as a gift, and #50 as a loan: the glebe comprises eight acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Milltown, where the principal chapel is situated. In the public school at Milltown about 120 children are educated; and about 70 are taught in two private schools. Of the abbey, which was a building of considerable size and strength, and constructed of a kind of dark marble, the walls and the noble east window are still nearly entire, and, from the style of the architecture, appears to be of a more recent date than that of its original foundation. Near the abbey are the ruins of the old church, with a burial-ground attached, which is still used. Besides the fort already mentioned there are several others, commonly called "Danish" forts.-See MILLTOWN.

MILLTOWN

MILLTOWN, a market and post-town, in the parish of KILCOLEMAN, barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 14 miles (S.) from Tralee (by Currens), and 158 miles (S. W. by S.) from Dublin, on the mail road from Tralee to Cahirciveen ; containing 1427 inhabitants. It is situated near the river Mang or Maine, which flows into the harbour of Castlemaine, and is navigable for vessels of 100 tons to within a mile of the town. In 1831 it contained 260 houses, together with the parochial church, R. C. chapel, bridewell, dispensary, and school : it has a sub-post-office to Tralee and Cahirciveen. A patent for a market and two fairs was obtained by John Godfrey, Esq., ancestor of the present proprietor, Sir John Godfrey, Bart., whose seat, Kilcoleman Abbey, immediately adjoins the town. The market, which is for corn and potatoes, is on Saturday ; and fairs are held on April 26th and 27th, June 23rd and 24th, Aug. 23rd and 24th, and Dec. 15th and 16th, for general farming stock : the market-house is an old building. At Rhapogue is a quay ; a considerable quantity of corn is annually exported, and coal, salt, and other articles are imported. The bridewell is a neat building, consisting of two day-rooms, two yards, and six cells. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and petty sessions are generally held once a fortnight. The church is a neat edifice, with a square pinnacled tower, In the R. C. divisions Milltown is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilcoleman and Kilbonane, each containing a chapel : that of Milltown is a handsome and spacious modern building, with an ornamental belfry of hewn stone ; there is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. In the school-house, which is built in the cottage style, about 120 children of both sexes are educated at the expense of Sir John and Lady Godfrey ; and her ladyship, assisted by a loan from a London Society, affords employment in spinning, weaving, &c., to several of the poorer class. The late Rev. T. Fitzgerald, P.P., of Milltown, bequeathed #4000 to the R. C. bishop of Kerry and his successors, the interest of which is to be applied partly to the establishment and support of schools, and partly in clothing and feeding the poor in the parishes of Kilcoleman and Kilbonane ; and #1000 is to be applied in like manner for the benefit of the parish of Killeiny. A large school is accordingly to be built in each parish, and placed under the National Board. The ruins of the ancient abbey, situated in Sir John Godfrey's demesne, are described under the head of KILCOLEMAN.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019