All entries for Brosna



Brosna

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

BROSNA

BROSNA, a parish in the barony of TRUGHANACMY, county oif KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (N. by E.) from Castleisland; containing 2168 inhabitants. It is situated on the small river Clydagh, and on the confines of the counties of Limerick and Cork, and comprises 18013 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #2180 per annum. A large portion of the land consists of coarse mountain pasture and bog, the greater part of which might be reclaimed. A new line of road, about 8 miles in length, is now in progress, at the expense of Col. Drummond and C. Fairfax, Esq., extending from the bridge over the Clydagh (an arch of 60 feet span), on the new road from Listowel to Newmarket, and passing through this and the adjoining parish of Ballincuslane to the village of Ardnagrath, on the old mountain road from Castelisland to Millstreet. It is in contemplation to extend this road to Scartaglin, to form a junction with the new government road from Castleisland to King-William's-town, by which the surrounding country will be greatly improved. This place was occasionally the headquarters of the Whiteboys, during the disturbances of 1822; but since the opening of the road from Listowel to Newmarket, the neighbourhood has enjoyed perfect tranquillity. In that part of the parish which borders on counties Limerick and Cork is a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the bishop; the tithes amount to #175. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the glebe comprises 2? acres. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of the union or district of Brosna or Knocknagashel, which comprises also parts of the adjoining parishes of Casytleisland and Ballincuslane; the chapel is a thatched but commodious building, during the summer months a school is held in it, uner the superintendance of the parish priest; there is also a chapel at Knocknagashel, in the parish of Castleisland. There are two private schools, in which about 120 children are educated. Some slight vestiges of the ancient parish church may still be traced in the burial ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019