All entries for Ballynacourty



Ballynacourty

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

ANNASCALL

ANNASCALL, or AUNASCALL, a hamlet, in the parish of BALLINACOURTY, barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (E. by N.) from Dingle containing 11 houses and 92 inhabitants. This place is situated in a pleasant valley on the new mail coach road from Tralee to Dingle, to each of which it has a penny post recently established. It is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are held generally on alternate Mondays. The parish church, a small plain edifice with a square tower, is situated here; and a R. C. chapel has been recently erected. In the vicinity is a beautiful lake, about a mile in circumference; and in a glen among the mountains in its neighbourhood, bordering on Ballyduff, it is said the last wolf in Ireland was killed; the particular spot is called the "Wolf Step."-See BALLINACOURTY.

BALLINACOURTY

BALLINACOURTY, .a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 8? miles (E. by N.) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee ; containing 1884 inhabitants. It comprises 2973 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. A considerable portion is rough mountain pasture, with some bog, but mostly reclaimable; the remainder is under cultivation. A few boats are employed in fishing in the bay of Dingle, but for want of proper shelter the fishery is very limited. The construction of a small pier on this side of the bay would be of great advantage.Fairs are held at Ballinclare on the 1st of May and 4th of October, for black cattle and pigs. At Annascall is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are also held there. A seneschal's court for the barony is held at Ballintarmin, generally on the last Wednesday in the month, at which debts not exceeding #10 late currency are recoverable. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and about the year 1750 was episcopally united to six other vicarages, constituting the union of Kilflyn; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to #161. 10. 9. The church, situated at Annascall, was erected by aid of a loan of #600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816. The glebe-house of the union is situated here, and was built by aid of a gift of #450 and a loan of #200 from the same Board, in 1821 : there is also another at Kilflyn. The glebe comprises 14 plantation acres ; and there is also an old glebe of four acres about a mile distant. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district of Ballinvohir; a chapel is now in course of erection at Annascall, at which place is a school, principally supported by the Earl of' Cork.There are still some remains of the old church in the burial-ground.

BALLINCLARE

BALLINCLARE, a small hamlet, in the parish of BALLINACOURTY, barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee; containing 13 houses and 88 inhabitants. Fairs are held on May 1st and Oct. 4th, chiefly for cattle and pigs.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019