All entries for Ballyduff



Ballyduff

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

BALLYDUFF

BALLYDUFF, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 7? miles (N. E.) from Dingle; containing 420 inhabitants, of which number, 92 are in the village. This parish, which is situated near the road from Dingle to Tralee, comprises 9825 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Nearly one-half is mountain and bog, partly reclaimable; that portion of the land which is under tillage is of good quality. The only seat is Liscarney, the property of T. B. Hussey, Esq. The village contains 15 houses, and is a constabulary police station. The living is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, the rectory being wholly impropriate in the Earl of Cork; the tithes amount to #55, payable to the impropriator, out of which #10 per annum is allowed for the discharge of the clerical duties. There are some ruins of the church in the ancient burial-ground, near which is a small glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish is included in the union or district of Castlegregory. On the border of the parish is a romantic glen, called Maharabo, where it is said the last wolf in this part of the country was killed; the particular spot is still called Wolf Step.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019