All entries for Liskeevy



Liskeevy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

LISKEEVY

LISKEEVY, a parish, partly in the barony of KILMAIN, county of MAYO, but chiefly in that of DUNMORE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6? miles (N. W.) from Tuam, on the road to Claremorris and Mayo ; containing 2806 inhabitants. It comprises a large quantity of bog, the whole of which is easily reclaimable from the abundance of limestone gravel found in the vicinity. The river Clare runs through it, and in some places has a depth of 40 feet. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Tuam ; the rectory partly constitutes the corps of the deanery, and is partly appropriate to the provost and chapter of Tuam. The tithes amount to #147. 16. 1?., of which #125. 11. 5?. is payable to the dean, provost, and chapter, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Adregoole, and has a chapel at Milltown. About 220 children are educated in three private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019