All entries for Killannin



Killannin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

GAROMNA

GAROMNA, an island, in the parish of KILLANIN, barony of MOYCULLEN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 20 miles (W.) from Galway, on the North side of Galway bay : the population is returned with the parish. This island forms the western side of Greatman's bay, and between it and the island of Arranmore is the North Sound, or entrance to the bay of Galway. It contains 1427 statute acres, of which about one-third consists of arable land and the remainder of mountain pasture and bog. The inhabitants depend for support chiefly on the fishery, which is here extremely precarious ; and in 1831, when the famine desolated this part of the coast, they were driven to the utmost state of destitution until relieved by the London Committee. On the north-east side of the island is a small pier, originally erected by the late Fishery Board, but having been destroyed, it was subsequently rebuilt with funds from the charitable societies, and is now of great utility. The sounds between this island and the adjoining ones are dry or fordable at low water : about half a mile from the south side is Englishman's Rock, which is dry at ? ebb. In the R. C. divisions it forms a parish or district of itself, and has two chapels, one of which is a small thatched building. In its immediate vicinity is Innisbaraher, an island containing 32 acres of arable land and 30 of bog and mountain pasture.

KILLANIN

KILLANIN, a parish, in the barony of MOYCULLEN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 11 miles (W.) from Galway ; containing 8967 inhabitants. This is a very extensive parish, but as it contains large tracts of bog and mountain, only 6841 statute acres are rated in the county books. It is situated at the entrance to the bay of Galway, extending to Lough Corrib, and comprehends the islands of Garomna and Littermore, and the bays of Casleh, Scalp, and Bunahown. Here is Ross, the seat of R. Martin, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Ballynakill ; the rectory is impropriate in T. Martin, Esq., and the tithes amount to #45. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel : divine service is also performed in private houses at Rossmuck and Littermore. About 150 children are educated in four private schools. Here was formerly the castle of Bunown, a principal seat of the O'Flahertys.

LITTERMORE

LITTERMORE, an island, in the parish of KILLANIN, barony of MOYCULLEN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 24 miles (W. N. W.) from Galway, on the western coast: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the eastern side of the bay of Kilkerrin, and at the extremity of that of Greatman's, and comprises about 500 acres, of which 80 consist of arable land, and the remainder of bog and pasturable mountain: the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries. Here are a signal tower and a coast-guard station belonging to the Galway district.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019