LITTLE ISLAND, a parish and island, in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Cork ; containing 1103 inhabitants. It is situated on the estuary of the Lee, and is separated by a branch of that river from the parish of Caherlog, with which it communicates by a handsome causeway of hewn stone and a metal spring bridge, constructed in 1833 at the expence of Silver C. Oliver, Esq. It comprises 1627 statute acres, chiefly under tillage and in a high state of cultivation ; there is no waste land or bog. About 20 acres have been lately reclaimed from the slab of the river by the Rev. R. Bury, and brought into cultivation. Limestone abounds, and is worked to a considerable extent for agricultural and building purposes, and as ballast for vessels sailing without cargoes from the port of Cork, for which latter purpose a contract has been entered into by Mr. J. Cantillon, jun., with the Ballast Board. The island is embellished with several handsome seats, the principal of which are Wallinstown House, the residence of Phineas Bury, Esq., the principal proprietor, containing within the demesne the ruins of an ancient church or chapel, and of the castle of Wallinstown ; Sun Lodge, formerly the seat of the Rt. Hon. Silver Oliver, and now of his grandson, Silver Chas. Oliver, Esq. ; Carrigrenane, the residence of J. M. Ashlin, Esq. ; Flaxforth, of R. Martin, Esq. ; Rockfarm, of J. Cantillon, Esq.; and Castleview, the property of W. H. Jackson, Esq., at present unoccupied. Carrigrenan is situated on a small undulating peninsula tastefully laid out and commanding a variety of interesting views of the river and its highly cultivated shores. There are several other seats, chiefly handsome modern mansions ; a pure atmosphere, fertile soil, and sylvan scenery having induced several wealthy individuals to settle on this small but beautiful island. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, forming part of the union of Rathcoony, formerly Cahirlog ; the tithes amount to £180. ln the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Glauntane, or New Glanmire. About 90 children are educated in a private school. A school-house, built by Phineas Bury, Esq., has been converted into a working-school. The only remains of antiquity are the small chapel or oratory formerly called Sancti Lappani, and the ruined tower of Wallinstown Castle, before mentioned ; they are situated nearly adjoining each other under some aged trees, whose gloom finely contrasts with the verdure of the adjacent lawn and shrubbery.