All entries for Kilcolgan



Kilcolgan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILCOLGAN

KILCOLGAN, a parish, partly in the barony of LOUGHREA, partly in KILTARTAN, but chiefly in DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Oranmore, on the road from that place to Ardrahan; containing 1240 inhabitants. An abbey is said to have been founded here in 580, over which St. Colgan presided. The parish comprises 5128 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and contains some limestone. An inlet of the bay of Galway extends up to it, and is navigable for small boats; large quantities of sea-weed are collected for manure. Tyrone is the seat of A. F. St. George, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, episcopally united, about 1735, to the vicarages of Kinvarra, Stradbally, Killely, Killeeny, Dromacoa, Killinen, Killenavara, Duras, Kilcooly, and Bullane, together forming the union of Kilcolgan, in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is appropriate partly to the see, and partly to the provostship, and partly to the prebend of Kinvarra, in the cathedral of Kilmacduagh. The tithes amount to #189, of which #42. is payable to the bishop, #68. 5. to the provost, #26. 5. to the prebendary, and #52. 10. to the vicar: the entire tithes of the benefice amount to #322. 6. Here is a chapel, also a parochial school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019