All entries for Drumatemple



Drumatemple

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

BALLYMOE

BALLYMOE, a village, in that part of the parish of DRIMTEMPLE which is in the barony of HALF BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3? miles (S. E.) from Castlerea . the population is included in the return for the parish. It is situated on the river Suck, and on the road from Roscommon to Castlerea, to both of which it has a penny post. Fairs are held on Feb. 1st, March 16th, May 21st, June 24th, Aug. 22nd, and Oct. 25th.-See DRIMTEMPLE.

DRIMTEMPLE

DRIMTEMPLE, a parish, partly in the half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and partly in the other half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlerea, on the road to Roscommon ; containing 2383 inhabitants. It is surrounded by bog, and consists principally of pasture, although there is a considerable quantity of arable land. The seats are Dundermott, the residence of R. Blakeney, Esq. ; Laragh, of Martin Connor, Esq. ; Leabeg, of H. Browne, Esq. ; Tenny Park, of T. T. Byrne, Esq. ; Currisdoona, of F. T. Byrne, Esq. ; and Bopeep Lodge, of H. French, Esq. In the village of Ballymoe are two mills, worked by Mr. Hurley, one grinding 100 tons of oatmeal, and the other 2000 barrels of wheat into flour annually. Petty sessions every Friday, and a fair on Feb, 1st, are held there. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Oran ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Essex. The tithes amount to #133. 6. 8., of which #100 is payable to the impropriator and #33. 6. 8. to the vicar. The church for the union is at Ballymoe, and was built in 1832 by aid of a gift of #900 from the late Board of First Fruits, In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballintobber, and has a chapel at Ballymoe, a good slated building which cost #500. There are t'wo public schools, in which about 60, and four private schools, in which about 170, children are educated. At Cloonadera are a fine Danish fort and a chalybeate spa.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019