Lectures and speaking engagements
Libraries Northern Ireland
- Thursday 18 February: Starting research on Irish records
Friday 26 February: Why can't you find your Irish ancestors?
Friday March 19: Irish Property records
Hamilton County Genealogical Society, Saturday March 6
New England Regional Genealogical Consortium, April 1 - May 31, 2021
Celtic Connections conference, Wheeling, IL, 31 July - 1 August 2020
Auckland Family History Expo, New Zealand, 7 Aug - 9 Aug 2020
Ten-week Diploma in Family History, from 2 October 2019 to Dec 12 2019
Five talks at the National Genealogical Society Conference in St. Louis, May 2019
'Where are we and how did we get here?' Cork Genealogical Society conference, Cork, March 24 2018
Celtic Connections conference, Boston, August 10-11 2018
'The Revolution in Irish Genealogy' Waterford and Dungarvan, AUg 23/24 2017
'Getting from here to there (and back)' at The CLare Roots Atlantic Migration conference, Sept 24 2017
'UK Sources for Galway Emigrants' at Emigration and Our Galway Diaspora conference Clerinbridge Sept 8 2017
Celtic Connections conference, Minneapolis, August 5-6 2016
Finding your Irish Ancestors online
- Belfast (Feb 18),
- Holywood (March 9),
- Armagh (March 15),
- Larne (March 22),
- Coleraine (March 23)
"Online and offline records for family research", February 17th 2016
Ten-week Diploma in Family History, starting February 12th 2016
"Dublin Databases", August 26 2015
"Online and Offline Sources for Irish Genealogy", 22nd June 2015
"Using the internet for genealogical research", February 27 2015
- As part of the National Library's Adult Learners' Festival Lunchtime Genealogy Talks: More here
"What's happened to Irish family history?", March 7 2015
"Finding your Irish ancestors online", March 3, 9, 10, 2015
- Northern Ireland libraries: Lurgan (March 3), London/Derry (March 9), Lisburn and Omagh (March 10)
"British Army Records Online", October 11 2014
- At "Military History: People, Places & Records", Loughrea, Co. Galway: More here
"Swings and Roundabouts: what we lose when records are digitised", October 18 2014
- Back to our Past, RDS, Dublin October : More here
Boston iFest, September 26-28, 2014, Seaport World Trade Center, Boston
Celtic Connections Conference, Aug. 15-16, 2014, Waltham, MA.
"Irish records online: an overview"
- Ireland Branch Genealogy Open Day, Dubllin City Library and Archive, Pearse St.
Saturday 24th May 2014, 10:00am - 4:30pm.
The Genealogy Roadshow" second series, ran May 11th to 23rd 2014
"Why you can't find your ancestors (even though you know they're there)"
in Belfast, Armagh and Enniskillen as part of NI Creativity Month, March 2014
"Pre-Famine Records" at Cork Genealogical Society conference, March 15th, 2014
"Irish records: what's online?", National Library of Ireland, August 13 2013
"Why you can't find your East Galway ancestors and where they might be", Ballinasloe, October 19 2013
Waterford Writers Week, March 24th 2013
Eight-week course "Starting Your Family History", Clonmel, September - November 2012
Free public lecture "Starting Your Family History", December 15th, 2011
Irish Times Training courses, September 2010, February and April 2011, September 2011, January 2012
Back to our Past, October 21 & 23 2011
Clare Roots Conference, October, 2011
"The Genealogy Roadshow" TV programme
Irish Times Training complete on-line course
Wholly Genes genealogy cruise, October 2008
Australian Federation of Family History Societies Congress, January 2009
Wholly Genes genealogy cruise, November 2007
Across The Irish Sea: Tracing Your Irish Ancestors, Family Record Centre, London. 2007
- 'Irish Census Substitutes: What's out there?'
Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference, Boston, 2006
- 'Irish Loan Fund records'
- 'The Valuation Office and its records' (with George Handran)
Irish Genealogical Research Society, London, 2006
- 'Recent developments in irish Genealogy'
Irish Family History Society, Dublin 2006
- 'Recent developments at Dublin City Library and Archive'
South Dublin County Library, 2006
Dublin City Library and Archive 2005-2006
'Dublin families at mid-century: using the Dublin City Electoral Lists'
- 'Introduction to Irish Genealogy' (staff training)
Gwynedd Archives, Caernarvon, Wales, 2005
- 'Irish Genealogy: sources and methods'
Galway County International Genealogical Conference, 2005
- 'Irish Emigration Records'
- 'The Valuation Office and its records'
Milwaukee Irish Summer School, 2004
- 'Island Genealogies'
- 'The Origins of Irish Surnames and Irish Place Names'
- 'Irish Emigration to North America'
- 'Irish Genealogy: Where Next?'
Copyright © John Grenham, Eoin Grenham 2023